Saturday, June 10, 2006

Bangalore, The Silicon Valley of India!




I'm writing from Bangalore, where your 6:45 AM (Pacific) is my 7:13 PM. It's the extra half hour that fucks with your head. How can I be twelve and a half hours off from home? Here's a beautiful and intricate Hindu temple we saw. The Hindu people have blue, multi-armed gods and are vegetarians, so they're my favorite religion at present.







In India, you just see cows and water buffalo hanging out by the side of the road, and I saw a momma cow and a calf together, and that was awesome. Sometimes there are traffic jams because a heifer decides to lay down in the middle of the road, and people carefully drive around it rather than honk or try to disturb the animal. It is interesting to think about how "Sacred Cow" and "Holy Cow" come from somewhere, although my feeling that "Holy Cow" was on some level offensive meant that I spouted it like a Tourette's victim whenever we were around the locals.






Thank you, it's pronounced "Va-Gi-Na".







On 6/6/06, I was at a place in Bangalore that had wild rabbits kind of loping around that they feed, and when I took their picture I kept getting the flash off their albino eyes, and they looked eeeevil.
There was also a child care facility, and when we stopped in we were handed small candy bars to give the children, and it was just as satisfying as feeding animals at the zoo.




All fans of the Grown-Ups, Denton's finest ska band featuring a dancing Stormtrooper, will appreciate the fact that every time I saw a Bajaj, (the name that Vespa used for the South Asia market) I was stuck with "Bajaj in the Garage" in my head for the next half-hour. My favorite ad was a billboard with a motorcycle reading "Bajaj: Feel Like A God!"
Because gas costs five dollars a gallon, you see quite a few scooters and bikes. It makes our whining about three dollar gas seem excessive.

There was a sign on a firetruck that read "Dead Man Timer Box" on it, and I'd really like to know what that was about.

No comments:

Post a Comment