Monday, March 17, 2008

It's Easy Being Green

In a fitting St. Patrick's day occurrence, I rolled onto my first new "bike box" at SE 7th and Hawthorne today. It's currently a cheery, slightly acid astroturf color, and it's designed to remind cars not to flatten me like a discarded Coke can. I also reached 8,000 miles on my odometer today, almost two years to the day of my 2,000 mile post.
Tomorrow is always an exciting day for a bike commuter, and if the weather's clear, I can report on the number of visible vomits on my regular route.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:56 PM

    "Visible Vomits" really, really made me giggle. Congrats on the 8k, it would take me 45 years to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:01 PM

    Nice work on the 8K!

    I saw the City workers painting that box this past weekend. It looks impressively large and noticeable. But it seems some folks might be getting the wrong idea...

    "The cyclist in the bike box is periodically signaling a left turn; there are two lanes of traffic to her left. he light turns green, the cyclist goes forward; so does the van beside her. With the van 4-5 feet behind her, the cyclist turns left across 2 lanes of traffic, almost getting hit. The cyclist pulls over on 7th, to be met by one of the cops. I’m guessing that she thought the bike box gave her special immunity.”

    http://tinyurl.com/2pfel2

    ReplyDelete