Thursday, December 03, 2009

All Hail Baby Ketten!



I can't keep my love a secret anymore. I can't hide my love away! Among the many things that make Portland awesome, there is a karaoke organization called Baby Ketten that is rocking the best book in the business! You think your karaoke has a good book? Seriously- suck it. Have you ever wanted to sing Siouxsie Sioux's apocalyptic lullaby, Metal Postcard? Probably not, but I did, and I sang it at Baby Ketten! Bauhaus' Kick in the Eye? Think you can keep an audience through Pulp's bump and grind classic, This is Hardcore? Find out! Do you think singing Laid by James will get a singalong going? Can you handle Tori Amos' Crucify? Do you think you can step to The Strangler's Peaches? Holy crap, this is a great book, and the crowd and KJ's are all wonderful people. You can talk to them on their Facebook event page: Baby Ketten

NEW VENUE: Tuesdays at Mississippi Pizza Pub! At 9! Hey, they have a vegan pizza and a full bar, sounds like rock and roll goodtimes!

Wednesdays at The Woods, at 6637 Milwaukie Avenue in Sellwood! Karaoke starts at 9:30, come early for the FOTH show!




OK, to whet your whistle, here are just a HANDFUL of the items available for singin':

Metal Postcard*Siouxsie and the Banshees*Killing Moon*Echo and the Bunnymen*Senses Working Overtime*XTC*Each Man Kills The Thing He Loves* Gavin Friday*Quiet Life*Japan*This Charming Man*The Smiffs*Replacements*Alex Chilton*Nick Cave*Red Right Hand*Proclaimers*Sunshine on Leith*Beats International*Dub Be Good To Me*Belle and Sebastian*Funny Little Frog*Joy Division*Atmosphere*Nine Inch Nails*Something I Can Never Have*Pixies* No. 13 Baby*Beautiful South*Rotterdam*Pulp* This is Hardcore

You like singin'? THIS is hardcore!

The first night at the Woods was a jam-packed, scintillating media event- the venue used to be a funeral home, and it feels a little like singing in a friend's living room. Full of GHOSTS!
A Baby Ketten favorite brought the crowd to its feet by singing a Turandot aria in an AC/DC shirt. That is the magic of Baby Ketten.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:42 PM

    yer awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you know. It took me this long to notice there was a comments feature on your blog.

    Anyway, I would sing me the hell out of some "Alex Chilton." The lines "Feelin' like a hundred bucks / Exchanging good lucks" have always, as the Amish say, spoken to my condition.

    No disrespect to the previous commenter, whose opinion of you I share, but I would sooner chew off my own nipples than use an emoticon.

    Come on, people! There is essentially infinite space on the Internet. It is OK to use actual words.

    ReplyDelete