Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Dangers of Fun

I am back from Austin, TX, where I had a lovely time performing alongside New York's Selena Coppock, Amy Albert, and sketch troupe Skinny Bitch Jesus Meeting, along with a compendium of one-woman shows, improv troupes, cabaret acts, and local luminaries. I had the opportunity to hang out with some long-lost friends, and of course members of my family, who are always exciting to be with. They nearly did not attend my show, because it sold out and advance tickets had not been purchased- I can only imagine because my sister thought something more important might come up at the last minute that would trump seeing my act.
My mother heckled me for a large portion of my set, prompting admirers to ask where I had gotten such a talented plant, to whom I could only weakly respond that it had been my actual human mother. I will have film up soon.
The LAFF festival had a dinner event on Saturday night at Vivo, a restaurant on the long list of local eateries that my sister Laura has been fired from, and I drank the most delicious margarita ever. It was full of fruit and tequila and an orchid and evil. Having consumed a single beverage, I saluted my fellow funny ladies, and went to meet my family.
After I left, I got on the highway and was mildly disturbed at the smell and sound my rental car was making. Since I was nearly to my destination, and since it was a rental car, I decided to persevere despite the thumping and odor, until I got to a stop light and a tramp on the highway on-ramp walked up to my car and pulled a valet parking cone out from underneath it, with a gesture of disgust.

Austin, you continue to kick my ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment