Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Famous Mysterious Actor Appears Tonight, And So Do I!


Salutations, Studio-audience Stalwarts!!

It's time once again to join check out The Famous Mysterious Actor Show at Curious Comedy Theater, Famous' permanent digs!!

This month's guests include:

Virginia Jones!

Broccoli Man!

Don't be the one who missed this crazy conglomeration of creative chaos!!!

Curious Comedy Theater
5225 NE MLK (between Alberta & Killingsworth)
(503) 477-9477

This Wednesday - November 4th!
9pm Showtime
$10 admission
All Ages!!!
Bring the Kids and Grandparents!!
(no pants-crappers please)




HILARIOUS POSTSCRIPT TIME:

I love the Famous Mysterious Actor show (next show Dec 2nd!), and I genuinely had a great time, but my set went a little short, and this is why.

Before the show, the suave and talented producer, J.D., took me aside and told me that I would have five minutes of mic time, and that he would "light" me when my time was up. Allow me to take you behind the curtain. When a comic has an alotted time, which she always does, an emcee or producer will raise a flashlight, wave a phone, or lift a candle to indicate that it's time to wrap things up.

I was onstage, and I did a little shucking-and-jiving with Famous before I started telling jokes, and I was in medias res when I got the light from J.D., which was an amber light that turned towards me and then away. I thought that it seemed soon, but it was more important to me that the guys stay on time and that the show run smoothly than for me to do every single joke that I had planned on. I start going into my final joke, as I have been programmed to do in a Skinnerian manner. A few lines in, I get the light again. I nod at it, to indicate that I understand it's time for me to get offstage, and I finish my joke to some applause, and I sit on the couch to do panel.

I'm sitting on the couch, and I get the light again.

Peering into the darkness, I see that a woman is using a camera that, instead of flashing a white light, points an amber light at the performers onstage. Perhaps it is taking a sepia photograph. I do not know. I do not care. This means that 1.) I have gone short on my time for no reason and that 2.) At some point onstage, I nodded knowingly at a woman who was taking my photograph, whom I now dislike.

Yaaayy! And later, J.D. slipped on Ethiopian food (that had recently been thrown at Cutter, whose suit was retired in the December show) and fell offstage. Serves him right for dressing as a woman and lighting me early.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:21 PM

    I was not present at the November show, so I may be wrong about this. It is my understanding that JS is the "lady's man" sidekick and that the producer is actually JD. As in JD Fisher. Again, I regret missing that show and your set.

    Wally's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Wally's Mom! You're so right. Now Josh will know I'm always thinking about J.S.! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete