Thursday, August 28, 2008

Consumer Review: MyVu!


Every once in a while, electronics clearinghouse woot.com runs an event called a woot-off, which is a good way to make me buy stuff, because it makes purchasing needless electronics into a game, with timers and sirens and competition and congratulatory messages. Recently, I got swept up in the madness and got the MyVu Personal Media Viewer, a purchase based on overcaffeination and the promise that I would look like Geordi LaForge. It plugs into an Ipod 5th Gen and gives a floating, Viewfinder-sized video image from your Ipod in glasses. I got it for fitty bucks, and am pleased to see that the parent website offers it for two hunnert, because that makes me look like slightly less of a sucker.

First thing: obviously, they look awesome on. As I put them on during my train ride this morning, I was slightly self-conscious plugging in the attached earphones and started singing from The Who's Tommy: put in your ear-plugs, put on your eye-shades, you know where to put the cork.

The video screens on the inside of the glasses are about the size of a fingernail each, and in a dark room, it looks like you are watching a small screen in a theatre, but in the light, you can see through your glasses on either side, so you can see if you are being surrounded by technology-hungry thugs. If you need corrective lenses, there is a site where you can order them to clip onto the inside of the headset, but why don't you get robots to burn your eyes with lasers instead, high-end leisure electronics consumer?

The video quality is the same as the Ipod. This toy would make most sense to use to watch vids on a long car or airplane ride. I like the privacy of it. The two screens made me feel a little cross-eyed upon first wearing, but I got used to them. I would really like to see these hacked to use with a laptop!
(People keep commenting on my gloves, but I swear they're just to wear on my bike!)

Now I see this clearly. My whole life is pointed in one direction. There never has been a choice for me. I am a nerd. I know it, Jackie Kashian knows it, and woot knows it. The first video I watched on it? Weird Al Yankovic's "White and Nerdy."

In my madness for personal items, I also bought this "Personal Hand Massager" during the woot-off, because of all the cramping I get in my hands when I use the computer. I think that this particular item will bring a whole new meaning to the term, "woot-off."

POSTSCRIPT: ZOMG, Woot found my post and linked to it from their blog- so if I link back to a blog linking to my blog, will the universe implode? Let's see!

POSTSCRIPT PART DEUX: Well, the Woot.com link was interesting, as I watched 800 people traipse through my blog over the next couple days, leaving neither comments nor footprints, just like they were never here at all. Maybe there's a lesson there about the internet. Et tu, page hits?

The real thing I wanted to mention was the danger of wearing the MyVu Personal Media Viewer in public. I wore them on the train one day and realized that an ex-boyfriend was in kicking distance and I had to pretend not to be myself, or if I was myself, absolutely I was not wearing wack-ass glasses.

The very next day, I was wearing them (watching Blade Runner, nerd!) on the train and became aware that a kid was begging for change, which caught me off-guard and I said no, I'm sorry, and he asked, wow, are those little video screens? And I had to admit that they were- so, although he thought they were cool, I felt bad admitting that 1. not only do I not hand out cash to kids on the train, 2. I am wearing ridiculously un-needed consumer products. Yes! I am an asshole.

And you absolutely should not use the personal massager in public.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:51 AM

    Holy lord - I've wondered about those Geordie glasses for a long time 'cuz I'm a closeted technology junkie and whatnot.

    I'm way impressed with your ability to rock those babies on the train (MAX, yes?), but really, it's the fingerless glove that I find truly AMAZING.

    I was transported right back to my 12th birthday looking at that bad boy. Of course, the ones I wore then were double-layered pink and black lace. 'Cuz I'm fancy like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fank yew, in my defense, they're my bike gloves! I'm not just wearing them to be "fly."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:44 AM

    Oh my, I can't wait to try these.

    You DO look totally dope.

    You look like you're in the 80_pan video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:25 PM

    No comment on those awesome glasses, but ...

    just wanted to share with you the Flickr account of this strange woman who makes cupcakes and then takes torture pics of her Frenchie & Boxer looking at said cupcakes. Well, honestly, not nearly enough of the pics have flat-faced dogs in them, but even the cupcake-only shots are pretty damn weird. Watch out for that turtle in the "turtle cupcake" pics.

    http://flickr.com/photos/cupcakequeen/2191658038/

    ReplyDelete